Wednesday, April 1, 2009

stir it up

I really don't like when some people share all of their business on their blogs. But then again, I kind of admire their courage to just lay it all out there. Does it take a certain kind of confidence or bravery to be so open and vulnerable with everyone around you? Maybe there's nothing to hide, but is it wise?

There's a lady that I know that I just kind of try and shadow. She's amazing, wise, kind, approachable, and comfortable. She's comfortable with herself, with others around her. Some of the things about her, I want for my own life. So, when she is around, I try and absorb from her. Like I wonder if osmosis would work...hhhmmm. This lady was in town recently, and I had the opportunity to snag a few hours of her time and just talk with her.

I had no agenda other than trying to learn at least one little something while visiting with her. A few hours and some tears later, I did learn a little something. I learned a lot of little somethings. Some of those little somethings I'm having trouble remembering. I recalled something I heard back at OCC...truth is your friend. I should give Kaylene credit for that. That's a good thing to remember.

So, I've been thinking about truth. What is truth? Truth is actuality, a transcendant (surpassing/extending) fundamental or spiritual reality (Webster's). Well, I know the opposite of truth is a lie. God does not lie. He is constant. He can't lie. He can't be unfaithful. So, He has to be truth. I wonder how many truths about God I know. Truth is mentioned in the NLT 269 times. We give glory to God by telling the truth. God's Word is truth. Sometimes truth has to have proof with it. We can led by the truth (Ps. 25:5). The Lord delights in those who tell the truth (Pr. 12:22). Sometimes telling/speaking the truth can be difficult. We must worship in truth. The truth will set us free (John 8:32). The Holy Spirit will lead me into truth (John 14:17; 16:13). Romans 1:19 even says that God has made the truth about himself obvious. We can't oppose the truth (2 Cor. 13:8). Truth can give me confidence. If I don't listen to the truth, I could drift away from it all together. If I am not obeying God, I am not living in His truth. 1 John 3:19...wow...my actions will tell whether I am living in truth or not. Following or living in truth brings joy.

Ok. So, now what? Now that I know better what truth is and what can happen if I do or don't live by it...what is truth? Is there just one collective truth, or are there a lot of smaller truths that I need to know?

No comments: