Thursday, August 6, 2009

unity

"When everyone in the church values everyone else's needs and desires above his or her own needs and desires, the result will inevitably be unity." I read this today by Pastor Steve Weaver.

I've been reading Philippians. This morning, I couldn't get past the first few verses in chapter 2. Unity and humility. At first, I didn't understand how they could go together. Then I realized it was pretty obvious. What does it take to obtain unity? A lack of selfishness for sure. A person can't be humble and selfish. I don't think it works that way. It's interesting. It seems like a lot of people want unity among different things. We need to unite and take a stand and work together and blah blah blah. At the same time, those same people want to be noticed, want recognized, desire attention. Unity doesn't work that way. Unity calls for losing yourself in the crowd so to speak.

Philippians 2:3 says, "Don't be selfish; don't live to make a good impression on others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself."

I am really challenged by this verse and all that it means. How often do I worry what others think of me? How often do I let others influence what I do? Getting noticed or being thanked or achieving recognition should not be something I'm after. It's not something I try to work for. But, being selfless and thinking of others first is not something I work at either.

If I could be more intentional about thinking of others first...my husband, my kids, for example...what would happen? Just simply changing my thinking to, "What could I do to serve them today?"

Humility brings unity. Being selfless fosters an environment of peace and unity.

No comments: