Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I Can't Make Sense of Life (Ch. 5)

This is an excerpt from a book I'm reading. Just wanted to share something that was so powerful to me. This excerpt is a word the Lord is speaking to the author (Ruth Senter).

What I do in my world will never completely make sense to you. That is why you must say to yourself, three, four, five times a day: "I do not understand, but He does." I do not need to understand in order to love Him, to know that He loves me.

My answers will not always be there for you (in fact, they usually aren't). My ways will not always make sense to you (in fact, they usually won't). Sometimes My paths do go in circles, follow roundabouts, go south to get north. Sometimes My paths dead-end against an old fence-post sign that reads, "No Trespassing. Keep Out." You will think, "But the route was so clear, so straight, so well-marked!" Driving down a four-lane highway into a dead end will not make sense to you.

It did not make sense to Paul, either, as he packed his bags for what he thought would be a trip to Asia. The map was spread out before him on his nightstand. The candlelight was strong. No misreading of the red and blue lines, no doubts about the route. Asia or bust. But the border guards said no. I said no. Paul's path dead-ended against an old fence-post sign that read, "No Trespassing. Keep Out."

So what do you do when it seems as if I took you on a wrong turn to nowhere? Spend a day in a motel in seclusion rereading a map? Fast and pray for a week so that you might understand what went wrong? Form a committee to study the theology of closed doors and dead ends? Put Me under a microscope to try to figure out how I strategize missionary trips?

Oh, My child, when you come up against the dead-end signs, don't try to unscramble My plan. Come into My presence and let Me love you. Rest in My love and you will be reassured that My plan is loving, even though it makes no sense.

Then you won't be paralyzed by apparent wrong turns. You will forget Asia for the time being, get a good night's rest, wake with the sun to a new vision, and head out in a new direction. Perhaps later the trip will make sense, perhaps never. But you will keep moving, surrounded by My love, confident in My ability to keep My creation on track. You will know whom you have believed, and will be convinced that I am able to guard what you have entrusted to Me for My ultimate outcome.

No comments: