Thursday, June 5, 2008

memories

It's strange. Memories are almost always tied to an object. Sometimes memories are tied to a person or words or even a place. I visited my home church tonight. It's no longer the building I knew growing up. Well, it's still the same structure and in the same location, but the whole inside has been completely restructured. The pews are gone. The classrooms are gone. Even the bathrooms were moved. I was baptized in that building. The baptistry has a leak in it. So, I was one of the last few to actually be baptized in it. I even taught Sunday School in a few of those old classrooms. It's just a building. Sean and I drove into the parking lot, and I tried so hard to hold back the tears. The old building that was the fellowship hall, actually the original church, and where we had youth service is now gone. The doors to the church have even been replaced. The building is so sentimental to me. I kept telling myself, "It's silly to cry over this!" But the building reminds me of so many important people and times in my life. It's hard to get used to the change.

No comments: