Thursday, December 3, 2009

Caution!


"Somebody stop me!" I think that's Jim Carrey's famous line from Ace Ventura, right? I'm really feeling that line in my own life lately.
Even more so since Romans 13:11 caught my attention today. I quote it from The Message for you: "But make sure that you don't get so absorbed and exhausted in taking care of all your day-by-day obligations that you lose track of the time and doze off, oblivious to God." Pretty intense, I think.
I get so caught up in what I'm doing or what the next thing I'm supposed to do is. I usually blame "our crazy city life." I was really convicted as I stopped to reflect on that verse. I don't take time to slow down. I don't take time to just stop and breathe. I don't stop to remember Christ. I don't stop to acknowledge Him. Is He really my everything? Is He really what my life is about?
I'm thinking about posting some of these signs around my house, maybe one in my car...just to give me a visual reminder that I need to stop, slow down and be mindful of Christ. These last 6-7 months, it's becoming more and more real to me that I am in control of my life. I've known that. But I haven't lived it. I'm in control of my thoughts. I'm in control of my actions. I don't always have to wait and just react. It's my responsibility to take the initiative and be mindful of Christ working in my life. It's my choice to be thankful. It's my choice to be happy. It's my choice.
But I can't make those good decisions if I don't slow down. So, here's to moving forward...slowly!

No comments: